Wednesday, December 17, 2008

22 Weeks

Okay - I appologize for my last blog - sometimes you just need to get something off your chest...I may have been a little crazy...

Anyway, I had a 22 week appointment and ultrasound this morning. The ultrasound is mainly to check cervical length in order to make sure it is still long enough. I have always been 4.0 - 4.6 or more - even the morning before the boys were born. Anyway, today the lady took the measurement many times and it ranged from 3.3 to 3.7. They even did an internal ultrasound for a more accurate measurement. Anyway, as I was waiting in the waiting room for my appt. with the doctor I had convinced myself that my cervix was thinning and that I was going to be on bedrest etc... By the time I was the doctor I was practically in tears...I cry everytime I see her anyway...she assured me that 3.7 was totally normal, I am not even on the bubble of her worrying about it yet. She wants it to stay between 2.5 - 4.0. She did another urine culture for me this week as well. She told me to take it easy for the next 2 weeks just to get to 24 weeks (okay, I can do that). She would really like to get me further but I guess we can only take a few weeks at a time. She also did say that if the baby was ready - she wouldn't mind delivering him at 37-38 weeks just to avoid something happening in the last 2 weeks. I am not planning on that happening but I am glad she is open to it.

1 comment:

Tara M. said...

Carrie, I don't know if this will help, but a length of 3.3 cm is fabulous! Our perinatologists like the cervix to be 2.5 cm or longer. As long as that opening is still closed, the doctors don't worry about it, however I know it doesn't help you not worry about it. We'll keep praying that the cervix stays closed for a long time. Also, the cervix can be dynamic and change length. Next time they check it, it can be longer again! I imagine you and James are counting down the hours till Christmas and the new year are done and over and you get that baby boy to a healthy age. CERVIX STAY CLOSED!!!!!!!!