Sunday, November 9, 2008

It feels like we've been here before...

It was a weird feeling again today. I visited my sister in the hospital because she had her baby last night. It was not weird to see the baby - even though Hudson and her should have only been 5 weeks apart. The weird part was that my new niece was born with the same virus that her older sister was born with 3 years ago. My other niece and Baby James were only supposed to be a few weeks apart as well. It just seems that everything that happened to my sister and I once have come back and happened again. My new niece is hooked up to IV's and in a special little room next to the NICU all by herself. She had a spinal tap and other tests this morning that were sent to the Mayo Clinic. The results don't come back for a few days but they are already giving the baby the medicines that should help clear the virus. I think she will be in the hospital for 2 weeks just like her big sister was.
I am asking for prayers for my sister and her family. Going through something like this one time is hard but the second time is terrible. They are worried about the outcome of the tests (which have the possibility of being really bad). But, luckily the virus in my older niece was caught before it got too bad. We need prayers that this virus is still in the beginning stages and can be managed. My sister will still have to be very careful with the new baby for at least a year to try to keep her from getting sick. In an older child or an adult, this virus does not pose a huge problem but it is very serious for a newborn.
I was glad to be able to go to the hospital this time. I was not allowed to go see my niece 3 years ago during her 2 week stay because I was pregnant with Sydney. I did go this time, trying to be careful to manage any infection for myself as well. We do know that in all of this, God is good and has a plan for our families. It just stinks that because of what my sister and I have been through it makes being pregnant and having babies full of so much worry. Even when we tell ourselves not to worry, the worry and fear are there consistantly. Please remember my sister and niece in your prayers today.

1 comment:

Dan and Gretchen said...

We are praying for all of them. This must be so scary to have to live all of this again, but at least they do know that it has been ok in the past.